Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

I love trying new recipes. Especially ones that are quick and easy, although occasionally I will try a more epicurean dish. Alright once or twice a year *gasp*! Hello, I'm not Martha Stewart, I'm more Betty Crocker. Hey my hubby loves the Betty in me anyways I'm getting sidetracked. Where was I?

Oh yea, new recipe. As I've mentioned before I LOVE Pioneer Woman, I mean I wanna be like her when I grow up. Don't laugh. Have you read her stuff, cooked her fantabulous dishes? No, then please wipe that look off your face. I know what you're doing!! STOP IT or I'll....I'll....I'll I don't know but it'll be really bad!

Forgive me, I just had chocolate cake, sugar rush.

This dish wasn't by Ree (PW) but was posted on her site by Pastor Ryan. The first time I made it according to the recipe the second time I changed it up. You can find the recipe here. Just a warning it makes a LOT of rice so you may want to cut the amount down.

The second time I changed it up by making the rice the way I normally do. I browned my meat and used the seasonings according to the recipe, however once it was done I added in some enchilada sauce. I did use the black beans adding them to the rice and to the meat since I had so much. I then layered it per the instructions excluding the green sauce as my family doesn't care for it. It was a hit! Only thing I'd do differently next time would be to add a layer of tortillas on top of the meat, so it won't fall apart so easily, I'm wierd like that.

The original recipe is really good, I liked it anyway. My family, not so much. However my family doesn't like tomatoes, can't eat onions, thinks salsa verde is gross, blah, blah, blah! Pray for me.


Post Signature

No comments: